26 September 2007

Skint Graduate Year 3. Part 2 Dreaming Away

By March 2007 the situation at work in the office was getting worse, people were talking about leaving left right and centre. Although we had escaped the 2nd round of redundancies, it had given everyone the spooks. I decide to keep an eye out still for another job. If everyone else if going to leave then there won’t be anyone left to run the business anyway! I am loving my job again now, really very busy, but not happy with the attitude of everyone else. The moral is rock bottom. Taking a deep breath I decide to step into the directors office and tell them how I am feeling and about the attitude and moral amongst the team. Do I push it and ask for a pay rise as well?

No need, she calls me back half an hour later and tells me I am getting a pay rise. Fantastic. At least that stops me from looking at other jobs for a while, and I am at last, 3 years after graduating, now earning just over the threshold for the government to start taking monthly payments out of my wages towards my Student Loan. This is a big occasion, my dreams of paying off some of my debt may now be possible, though a long way off! After 3 years at university I managed to rack up around £16,000 of debt. It is only in the last year or so that it has been sinking in how much this is and how hard I will need to work to pay it off.

May 2007 a letter arrives from the Police. A sinking feeling inside as I think, not another rejection! To my surprise and joy they tell me I have successfully passed the initial paper sift. After a 3 month wait I finally had some good news! What a month!!!

No comments: