26 September 2007

Skint Graduate Year 3. Part 1 Nightmares

September 2006, redundancies at work put everyone on edge! 12 out of 42 members of staff are laid off. Luckily my work in the office is not affected, the cuts were made to warehouse staff. Apparently this is an area of business we don’t need anymore!

Panic sets in a little and few people start looking for other jobs. I decide to have a browse in the paper and come across an Immigration Officer position. I decide to apply for it on the off chance, but am not really too keen, my heart is still set on getting into the police. I just have to wait a few more months before I can re-apply.

January 2007, more redundancies, this time everyone is at risk. We are all asked to attend a review type meeting and put forward our ideas and a reason why the company should keep us on. I know there is a 50% chance I will be asked to go, there are 2 of us doing administration based jobs and they really only need one.

This time I am also caught up in the panic of will I have a job next month. After having no success with the previous application to the Immigration service I am now looking for anything, ideally with a better salary than this and long-term prospects. I get in touch with a few of my old recruitment consultant friends who get me a couple of interviews, non of which really take my fancy, again all boring office jobs with no career prospects. Luckily I scrap by and manage to keep my job, though with double the workload now.

Talking to Dad one night about how miserable I was feeling he tells me his local Police constabulary are as desperately seeking more staff. ‘They all keep transferring to the MET.’ he tells me. I say I am not sure I can apply just yet as it’s only been a few months since I was turned. However, I get straight online and find that I can and do re-apply for the role of Police Officer in my home county. This time however, I take the questions to Dad and ask him to read over my application form. I went to stay with him for a weekend and we spent most the time trying to think of new situations for me to use. Wording was changed, and I could draw on more experience since doing my new role in Logistics and having helped out my rugby club behind the bar.

My application form definitely looked like an improvement on the previous one 9 months ago. Although the same questions I had more experience and research into policing behind me now. The form was sent off online in February 2007. I only tell my direct family and boyfriend about this application and ask them not to say anything, I don’t want to feel bad again if I don’t get through – there is after all an 80% failure rate!

Lets hope I hear from them soon, this job is seeming more and more insecure and I don't want another office job, doing boring admin. What a nightmare!!

No comments: